Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"I just don't know what to do with my hands."

I'm outside earlier.
On the phone with Shelby.
When in my peripheral I see some movement between the other apartments and hear a clicking noise.
I assume it's just the neighbors walking their dog.

Then I look up and see two police officers walking towards me.

I tell Shelby, "There are some cops walking towards me."

Then I look and see a third walking from between the two houses carrying a shotgun.
The other two officers are getting out their handguns.

My left hand is in my pocket and the other is holding the phone.

One of the officers says, "Can you take your hand out of your pocket sir."

My left hand goes slowly into the air and I tell Shelby, "I think I need to hang up."

I'm assuming the officer notices how awkward I must feel with three guns basically ready to be drawn on me at a moments notice.

"You're ok." He says.

I place my hands on my hips to make sure they are still seen but in a less awkward position.

One the officers, a female, asks, "Did you hear fireworks or gunshots earlier?"

I say, "I heard fireworks."

"How long ago?" she asks.

"About a half hour ago," I say, pretty impressed that I remembered that.

"How many of them would you say there were?"

"About 12, like a pack of twelve." I make the sound of twelve firecrackers with my mouth.

"Did you hear a scream?"

"No, I didn't but I was in the house."

"Ok, thanks"

Then they walked away. The shotgun copped un-chambered his shell and the other two put their handguns up.

Florida cops apparently don't tolerate fireworks.

No comments: